Tuesday 10 March 2009

Why I write...

I read an article on poetry by AA Gill in the (London) Sunday Times and the opening paragraph , below , so accurately summed up how I feel about writing that I wanted to share it with my reader.
Gill is one of my top-ten all time favourite writers...its not an exaggeration to say that I only get the Sunday Times to read his columns...and of course Jeremy Clarkson.


One of the most satisfying things about words is their black-and-whiteness, the neat, austere simplicity of their process. Letters on a page are so direct, so literal. The connection between writer and reader is intimate, personal and immediate: a moment of thought held, suspended, in a few marks, then reinvigorated. It has remained the same since cuneiform was pressed into wet clay with a reed. Words on a page have no backstage, no sleight of hand, nowhere to hide the workings. Words are what they say they are. You read a sentence and you can see how it was made; you can trace the thought.
AA Gill
Poetry is the cornerstone of civilisation
8 march 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment