Friday 12 December 2008

The wife's cooking

Another busy day in Paradise as the Great Unwashed struggle with winter coughs-and-colds.The Unit has only been open an hour and we have already seen 15 patients between the three of us.

I call in the next patient, who has a temperature of 38,2C and is coughing and reports that he is feeling 'short-of-breath'.
Fair enough.


"Good day Sir...what can I do for you today ?"

Well...what it is...its like this...my wife cooked some sweet potatoes and fried eggs for my tea 3 days ago...and I'm been sick since then...

"Vomiting-sick ? Diarrhoea and vomiting ?"

No ...I've got this cough and a very sore throat and I feel very hot...very very hot

"Right...and you think that this is related to your wife's cooking ? Why ?"

Well...I was alright until I ate my tea...wasn't I !?!

*sigh*

"Well...honestly...I think that it is simply coincidental that you got a cough after eating your teatime meal...I'll have a look at you just now, but I do think that you've got a cold probably with an uncomplicated-chest-infection..."

Well !!

Why would you think that ??

"Well...umhh...mainly because I don't think that your wife is trying to poison you...do you ? "

(Lord knows,I can understand why she would want too though...he refers to her as if she is a chattel...and is clearly just an ungrateful sod)

Well...no...I don't think so...not really

"Right...so along with everybody else...including me ...excuse me why I cough...you have a cold"

But I've never had a cold before...ever

"Really ??"

"Julian..." I call for my trusty HCSW..."Please call the Centers for Disease Control...I think we have the bionic man here..."

*sigh*
*cough*


"By the way Sir...I notice that you told the Triage Nurse that you are a non-smoker ?"

Yes...?

"Well...I'm sitting 2 meters from you...and frankly I can smell the marijuana from here...my eyes are watering the smell is so strong..."

Jer...well...I don't smoke tobacco do I...that's what kills you...

"Okay...well I do think that you might want to smoke less...in fact...excuse me,but I just need to go to the vending machine and get myself a cookie...and some milk...and a bag of crisps...can I get you anything ?"

1 comment: