Wednesday 2 April 2014

Man bites dog - dog bites back



A busy day again ,  and whilst briefly checking the triage list , I saw the statement about the self administered lethal injection.

Out-standing...the patients aren't even waiting for me to kill them now....
I immediately called the patient through to the Resus Room.

"Good evening...what's going on then?"

Well...what it is...obviously...I'm a veterinary nurse...

"Yersss.....?"

And I was putting a dog to sleep this afternoon...

"Yersss.....?"

And as I stuck the needle in his neck he moved...

"Yersss.....?"

And I injected the lethal drug into my thumb...

"Right...how much did you inject?"

I don't know...

"Whats the name of the drug?"

I don't know...

"Whats the active ingredient in the drug?"

I don't know...

"Did you bring the syringe in  with you?"

No...

"Did you bring the box that the drug came in, in  with you?"

No...

"Did you bring the package insert about the drug , in with you?"

No...

"Okay....can you please phone the vet and find out the name of the drug?"

No...we're closed now ...
...this happened at 2:30 this afternoon and my boss  said I could only go to A&E when we closed 'cos we were too busy...
...so we're closed now, aren't we...
...that's why I've come in....
...only the emergency vet is open now...
...its after nine you know...?...she replied smugly.

"Okay....can you please phone  the emergency  vet and try and  find out the name of the drug?"

Do I have too...?

"Well...its difficult to treat you if I don't know what to treat..."


She did.
She found out the name of the drug.

Since she really only had sustained  a needle stick injury...
...and the toxic dose was 4mgs / kg...
...and the syringe only contained 5mgs....
...and she weighed about 120 kgs...
...I decided she was probably safe.

And when the staff at the Poison Information Centre stopped laughing I sent her home.


No comments:

Post a Comment