Friday 26 December 2008

Christmas cracker


"Good morning Sir..and what can I do for you today then ?
What's illness has forced you to drag yourself away from your hearth and home on Christmas day then...leprosy...beri beri...black-water fever?"

Well...what it is...obviously...I've had this cold for about a month...I feel tired and hot...have a headache and a bit of a cough...I've seen my doctor twice...and the Out-of-Hours doctor...they both told me that I've got this flu that's going around...

"Right. One month.Two doctors.Three consultations.Four symptoms...beginning to sound a lot like a Christmas song doesn't it?"

"Whats changed today then?"

Well...my throat is very sore...its been very sore for about 5 days...

"Uh-huh...five days...so whats worse today then?"

Nothing really...but I thought that it would be quiet today...we've been really busy getting ready for Christmas...and...you know...I didn't have time to see my GP again what with all the sales on and everything

*sigh*
and again, *sigh*

After a thorough and diligent examination I am forced to concur that he indeed has the viral URTI which appears to be doing the rounds in this part of the world

"Right Sir...well...I think you still have the viral illness...it does look like you are coming to the end of it though...so ...plenty of fluids and take some paracetamol"

Fluids ? Fluids!!!
What about antibiotics? Can't I get some antibiotics then?


"You really...really...REALLY do not need antibiotics ...Sir"

But I thought...with it being Christmas and all...that you'd give me some penicillin...I mean to say...if you're here , working on Christmas day...surely you can give me what I'm asking for ?
I am a tax-payer you know!!

"Well...Sir...as you say...I am here , working on Christmas day...but that's because I've lost my faith...not because I've lost my reason"

No comments:

Post a Comment