Wednesday 15 August 2012

I can see clearly now...



A typical British summer Sunday evening...cold, dark and raining...
...and so I was irritated to see a man sitting in the waiting room wearing sunglasses...
...of the many,  many,-indeed many-,things that irritate me, wearing hats and sunglasses inside a building are two of my worst things...

But I was busy with a sick child and the next time I saw him he was lying on a bed in a treatment room with my lovely son , aka "The Monkey King", who was doing a shift as a Health Care Support Worker, and who was cleaning some grazes to the patients knees.

Being nosey, I stuck my head in the door...

"Hey Rowan...whats happening?"

'Yo Lucien...('cos he doesn't call me 'dad' at work)...this gentleman fell off of his bicycle after hitting something in the road...and he has lots of grazes to his knees and hands and elbows...I'm just cleaning them and picking out the biggest bits of gravel...'

"Sweet..."

I looked at the patient more closely.

"Can I ask you... (because I am soooooooooooo irritated that you are wearing sunglasses at 21h20 inside a room with no windows )...why are you wearing sunglasses? Do you have an eye infection?"

Well what it is,  piped up his girlfriend, is that he is partially sighted...that's why he wears the sunglasses...

Rowan looked at me...
I looked back at him...
We both looked at the patient.
I couldn't see if he was looking back at us because the sunglasses were really dark.

"Right.....So....you're partially sighted and you usually wear sunglasses?"

Yerss...

"And you were riding a bicycle wearing the sunglasses?"

Yerss...

"In the dark and in the rain?"

Yerss...

"So you're partially sighted...and wear sunglasses...in the dark and the rain...?"

Well he's not allowed to drive a car is he...!!! He can't see properly!!!

"Right"

"Did you see what it was that you hit in the road?"

No...it was too dark...

Rowan looked at me...
I looked back at him...
We both looked at the patient.
I couldn't see if he was looking back at us because the sunglasses were really dark.
Really dark.

"Excuse me..."

I went to my room and printed off some forms.

"I wonder if you can just sign this form please Sir..."

Whats it for...?

"Your application to be considered for the Darwin Awards..."


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. By some strange reason, I haven't been seeing updates of your new posts, I truly thought you had taken a break from blogging (I just got out of a mild case of writers block myself). Good to see your humorous articles once again.

    ReplyDelete