Sunday 14 June 2009

Roma - part one



So being part of the Eurotrash/ idle rich... ie,divorced with grown up children and no mortgage to pay...I find myself -yet again-,on holiday...in Rome.

Ah...Rome...Roma...

Well...thank Heavens for American imperialism...I'm not at all embarrassed to tell you that my first meal in the Eternal City was the from the Eternal MacDonalds...the one just around the corner from the Trevi fountain.

Cos I suppose that I didn't really think this through before I came here but I only eat pasta about once a month and pizza about twice a month...in my quest to maintain my sylph-like figure

(No sniggering at the back there!!)

And,having lived in Jo'burg all my life where there are as many different cuisines as you can think off I suppose that I have been spolit...I just naturally assume that I can get whatever food I want no matter where I am...

Even in "Ingerlund" where I now live,you can pretty much get fish'n'chips with or without curry gravy and as much warm beer as you would ever want to drink jyust about anywhere.

And it is 27C here today...and the only food I could find within walking distance was lasagna or "spag boll"...and I really felt like a salad or some fresh fruit...apart from anything else I am a vegetarian...

(Well...most of the time Iìm a vegetarian...if however I am on a date with a hot woman who thinks that vegetarianism is akin to devil worship then of course I'll deny it and have a steak...honestly...the things you have to do for even the promise of the possibility of sex!!)

Now it must be said that the Italians seem to follow the Pom recipe book of salads... a few slices of dessicated tomato and some dry wilted leaves of something that at some time in its very distant past may actually have been in the ground...thats not a salad even if you charge me
£10 and slather it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar that was jsut drained from the sump of a trans continental lorry...

And so I found MickeyD's...yeah...and in my best Irish accent I ordered the biggest burger I could find and finally didn't have to worry about eating too much meat...

No comments:

Post a Comment