Tuesday 28 June 2011

Hot ! Hot ! Hot !


I have always believed that there are many many advantages to being married if you are male...
...the most important one of which is that your wife doesn't let you go out in public when
you are "dressed funny"
Poor 'Shuffling Bob'...this is how he dressed on the hottest day of the year.
NASA phoned to say that they had to recalibrate the Hubble telescope due to the glare from his pale white legs!


By 1500 the temperature in the Unit was 27*C.
We do not have any air conditioning because apparently it wasn't cost effective since most patients are expected to be seen and treated in a couple of hours.
The fact that staff are there for a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of 14 hours is completely irrelevant to the bean counters.

And so at about 1600,-having already had a shower at 10h00 and at 13h30 whilst on meal breaks-,I saw a charming happy 8 year old boy who had broken his wrist whilst he was playing at the beach.He was unconcerned by the fracture and the plaster we had put on his arm.
He had a rash of freckles across the nose and was wearing an ice cream stained t-shirt.
His father,looking like an over broiled lobster rejected by Gordon Ramsay,was wearing shorts and an equally ice cream stained t-shirt.

I was typing up the notes for fracture clinic.

So,said his father,its been a beautiful day today...stinking hot at the beach.

"Uh huh."

I don't remember when it was last so hot...1976 I think they said on the telly...

"Uh huh."

It's so hot we almost didn't have to light the barbecue...!

"Uh huh"

Nothing like eating steak at the beach is there...?

"Uh huh"

It was really difficult to keep the beers cold...

"Uh huh"

Some good looking girls in bikinis...!

"Uh huh"

It was so nice to have a swim...the water was just perfect...!

"Uh huh"

So...are you going to get a chance to go to the beach today?

"No."

Oh...what time did you start work...?

"0745."

Ohh...what time do you finish...?

"10 o'clock tonight."

I typed for a few more minutes.

"So...what will you be doing at 8 o'clock tomorrow morning ?"

Ugh...don't ask...Monday morning...I hate Monday mornings...I'll be stuck on the motorway somewhere trying to get to work...!

"Uh huh...because I was just thinking....I'll be in bed..."

Oh...

"Ja....I never work on Monday mornings...'

Oh...

"So I'll get up at about 10...have breakfast...and then go to the beach for the day...my apartment is only about 3 minutes walk away from the beach..."

Oh...

"So I'll probably just sit at a pub and drink and eat and read all day..."

Oh

"Maybe watch some Wimbledon on my iPad..."

Oh

"Ja...and I'll do the same thing on Tuesday...."

Oh

"Ja....and I'll probably do the same thing on Wednesday..."

Oh...

"So...I think that's 'game set and match' to me then?"


No comments:

Post a Comment