Thursday 5 March 2009

Freakin Social Services

So my boss wanted to know why I threatened to hit a doctor...

Well...here's the thing...the British Government generally and the Labour Party specifically makes a big deal about the need to protect children who have been abused and neglected...and the various professional organisations ,but especially the Social Services...(and its no mistake that it shares the same initials as the Nazi SS)...go on and on about how good they are;what sterling work they perform...but more importantly,what robust protection systems there are in place to protect children.

Unfortunately the systems are run generally by left-wing,craven-coward tree-huggers with dubious qualifications ,whose default emotional setting is 'florid passive-aggressive' exacerbated by the need to justify their miserable acronym-ridden ,anti-christian organisations.

And so...there I was at work...a Friday evening...plodding away when a colleague asked for an urgent consult on a 2 1/2 year old girl.She had been picked up for the weekend by her biological father (who was naturally separated from her mother...and of course they had never been married)...and who found that his daughter had blood-stained underwear...and on examination, had a red,swollen labia.

I phoned the Paeds Registrar on call - her response was that it sounded like the child needed to see the Surgeons.

I phoned the Paeds Surgeon on call - his response was that it sounded like she needed to see an OBGYN

I phoned the OBGYN on call - his response was that it sounded like she needed to see a Paediatrician

So I phoned the after hours Social Services on call - whose response was that it sounded like she needed to see a doctor

So I phoned the Police - whose response was that it sounded like she needed to see a doctor but as she was anyway in a place of safety , it had nothing to do with them...our Unit is in fact not legally or practically a place of safety

So I phoned the A&E Duty Consultant at the Admitting Hospital in our area - whose response was that it sounded like she needed to see a Paediatrician

Hummh...groundhog day then

So my colleague who was treating the child went to the Paeds Admission ward and sat down and told the Paeds Reg and her team that she wasn't moving from the department until the child had been admitted.

They whinged and bitched about 'protocols' and 'lines of communication'...but in the end they had to see the child...

At least once a week I have to threaten someone with physical violence to get an at-risk child admitted...

So tell me once again Mr Balls about the marvellous job that your department does protecting children...

excuse me whilst I cough...

"Bullsh*t"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment